It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, more there lies your treasure.
– Joseph Campbell
DO I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY DRINKING OR DRUG USE? Alcohol and drug abuse can have a devastating impact on the lives of individuals and their loved ones. We first learn about drinking and using drugs from our families, peers, and popular culture, and we develop our own beliefs on what kind of use is acceptable as we develop. Many of us begin drinking or using drugs for social, recreational or medicinal purposes, and may start using more frequently over time, or to cope with emotional or physical pain. This can eventually lead to abuse, dependence, or addiction.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions, or if you feel your drug or alcohol use has become a concern in some aspect of your life, it may be time to seek professional help:
- Have you or your loved ones ever suggested that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Do you ever feel bad or guilty about your drinking or drug use?
- Have you found yourself hiding or lying about your use?
- Do you crave and seek out drinking or drug use?
- Has your use of drugs or alcohol created problems in your personal or professional life?
These are some common issues caused by alcohol or drug dependence or addiction
- Legal concerns due to drinking or drug use such as driving while intoxicated
- Physical health issues such as memory loss, illness, seizures, frequent vomiting, diarrhea, muscle aches, insomnia, weight loss
- Difficulties with maintaining work, social, or family obligations
- Relationship problems family and loved ones
- Lack of interest in doing things or feeling hopeless
- Loss of income due to drinking and drug use
- Participating in impulsive behaviors such as binge eating, one-night stands, shopping sprees, etc.
DOES THERAPY WORK? It is a common misconception that one must hit rock bottom before getting help with an addiction to drugs or alcohol. It is often easier for those who start to notice that their drinking or drug use is becoming a problem to change their habits than it is for those who feel out of control from their addiction. At any stage you find yourself in, there are effective therapy treatments to assist in setting short and long term empowering goals in overcoming unhealthy habits, dependence or addictions to drugs or alcohol.
WHY SHOREPOINTE? At Shorepointe Counseling, we have nearly 40 years combined experience in the mental health and addictions profession working with families and individuals struggling with alcohol and substance abuse issues. We structure our treatments based on our clients’ own personal goals of achieving their idea of recovery. We understand the impact of addiction and will help teach you the skills needed to overcome your dependence or addiction, and regain control of your emotional and physical health. We provide a non-judgmental, nurturing environment and offer flexibility in meeting your needs and your schedule. We look forward to helping you on your journey!
Contact Us Today.